We're proposing a number of changes to our Bylaws, most of which have to do with clarifying roles and responsibilities based on the work NKD is already undertaking. In accordance with the Bylaws, we're giving members two weeks to review them before our next general meeting, at which time we'll take a vote to pass them. Questions? Feel free to get in touch.
So what's are the changes? A quick summary:
- To section IV: Executive Committee, we've clarified eligibility exclusions to include appointed as well as elected positions. We clarified the role of appointed officer positions as non-voting members, as well as elected officers' responsibility to fill those positions within 45 days of their election. We also added that the Secretary role reports to the Chief of Operations, as well as the full details of the Data Director position, which is new.
- To section VI: Voting Rules, we changed the wording to refer to elected members of the Executive Committee.
We've included here just the copy that has proposed changes. The full Bylaws are here.
IV. EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE
A. Officers: The office of Treasurer is required by New York State law. Other officers will be outlined, in order of succession, in Article IV, Section E.
B. Eligibility for Office: Any member of NKD in good standing for the six months prior to an election is eligible to run for office or be appointed to office. No person may hold more than one office at a time. No one who is elected or appointed at the level of District Leader or higher may be an officer.
C. Term of Office: Each officer will be elected for a one-year term, with the exception of officers elected at special elections to fill vacancies for the remainder of a term.
D. Appointed Officers: Appointed Officers are considered full members in responsibility and standing within the Executive Committee, except they are non-voting positions within the Executive Committee. Each position on the Executive Committee which is considered appointed, will be called out as such in Article IV, Section E. Appointed Officers will serve the term of office once appointed until the next Executive Committee election and will be filled by the elected officers of the Executive Committee within 45 days of their election.
E. Duties of Office:
- President: The President oversees NKD's strategy and speaks on behalf of the club to the general public. The President chairs all meetings of the general membership and all meetings of the Executive Committee. This duty includes developing an agenda for each meeting and communicating that agenda in a timely manner to the Chief of Operations prior to each meeting. In the absence of the President, Executive Committee members, in the order listed in Article IV, Section E, will preside over the meeting. The President may call special meetings of the general membership or of the Executive Committee as outlined elsewhere in the bylaws. The President will also be an ex-officio member of all NKD committees, other than the Executive Committee.
- Chief of Operations: The Chief of Operations functions as the club’s manager, devising project implementation plans, assigning tasks to board members, and holding board members accountable for their commitments to the club. The Chief of Operations confirms meeting agenda items, times, and locations (in collaboration with the President) and schedules communication with the membership (in collaboration with the Secretary).
- Vice President of Political Affairs: The Vice President of Political Affairs is responsible for fostering and maintaining relationships with elected officials and other political organizations. The Vice President of Political Affairs serves as the Chair of the Political Affairs Committee. Political Affairs Committee (standing) develops and implements the club’s strategies for nurturing relationships with political officials and organizations. This includes recruiting and supporting new candidates for public office, identifying opportunities for collaboration with other political groups and electeds, and building awareness and support for NKD’s policy platform.
- Vice President of Policy: The Vice President of Policy is responsible for directing NKD's policy efforts. The Vice President of Policy serves as Chair of the Policy Committee. Policy Committee (standing) develops the club’s policy priorities and is a permanent committee of NKD governed by its own bylaws.
- Vice President of Organizing: The Vice President of Organizing serves as the lead organizer for all major political and election campaign activity organized by NKD. The Vice President of Organizing serves as the Chair of the Organizing Committee. Organizing Committee (standing) develops and implements the club’s organizing strategy for all social action (e.g., rallies, protests, social campaigns), electoral campaigns, and county committee reform.
- Director of Membership: The Director of Membership is responsible for promoting, coordinating, and overseeing NKD’s membership efforts and for broadening participation in NKD and the Kings County Democratic Party. The Director of Membership serves as the Chair of the Membership Committee. Membership Committee (standing) develops and implements strategies to make NKD more representative of the borough, to retain members and drive them towards action, and to encourage members to invest in the club’s growth.
- Treasurer: The Treasurer manages all funds received by and paid by NKD. The Treasurer keeps an accurate account of all funds and provides a report on NKD's finances to the club at least one general membership meeting per year and every Executive Committee meeting. The Treasurer works with the Director of Communications to monitor members’ dues and membership status. With approval from the President and Executive Committee, the Treasurer is responsible for paying all bills owed by NKD and generating invoices for funds owed to NKD. At the expiration of his or her office, whether by resignation, removal, or term expiration, the Treasurer relinquishes all financial records, information and materials including but not limited to books, papers, vouchers, and any property belonging to NKD, to the Executive Committee, who passes them to the next Treasurer. The Treasurer may convene Treasury Committee meetings, which they chair, at their discretion.
- Director of Communications: The Director of Communications is responsible for directing NKD's external messaging. This includes (a) managing NKD's website to ensure its content is current and attracting new members, (b) maintaining a regular presence for NKD on social media, (c) managing NKD's distribution lists, (d) devising and implementing digital advocacy and campaign tactics, (e) managing and enforcing NKD’s visual and brand identity and (f) creating and executing a press strategy to maximize NKD's media exposure in NYC. The Director of Communications may convene Communications Committee meetings, which they chair, at their discretion.
- Secretary: The Secretary is an appointed position reporting to the Chief of Operations, responsible for all internal and external communications and record keeping. This includes (a) sending notice of general membership meetings to NKD members at least one week prior to that meeting in collaboration or consultation with the President and Chief of Operations; (b) sending other regular communications to the general membership keeping them informed of NKD activity; (c) sending notice of regular Executive Committee meetings to all Executive Committee members at least one week prior to that meeting in collaboration or consultation with the President and Chief of Operations; (d) recording minutes of Executive Committee meetings; (e) recording any key decisions made by the NKD membership, including endorsements, officer elections and bylaws changes.
- The Data Director is an appointed position reporting to the Chief of Operations, responsible for the management of any and all data created, owned and controlled as part of NKD’s club operations. The Data Director works with all Executive Committee team members to assure the cleanliness, completeness and security of all necessary data to support the membership of the club. This includes: (a) working with VP of Organizing and Director of Membership to support club organizing for endorsed initiatives and candidates, (b) working with the Treasurer to monitor members’ status and dues, (c) working with the Director of Communications to support any and all necessary messaging outreach, (d) working with entire Executive Committee to establish a baseline of necessary data capture and metrics in order to effectively execute and present all of NKD operations. The Data Director is responsible for providing a report on NKD’s data at least one general membership meeting a year and every Executive Committee meeting. Report content and metrics to be decided in collaboration with the President and Chief of Operations.
VI. VOTING RULES
D. Executive Committee Voting: Each elected member of the Executive Committee is entitled to one vote in matters pertaining to the Executive Committee.