New Kings Democrats (NKD) stand for the principles of liberty, community safety, and racial and economic justice for all, including:
- Ending mass incarceration in New York by greatly reducing the number of people in New York’s jails and prisons;
- Community-based support and community-led services to keep people out of the criminal justice system, rehabilitated where necessary, and away from reentry;
- An approach to public safety that is based on respect for and holistic investment in communities;
- Policing that is transparent and accountable to the public;
- Ending broken windows or quality-of-life policing practices;
- Repairing the harms of discriminatory policing and mass incarceration on Brooklyn’s most impacted neighborhoods;
- Prisons and jails that accord human rights and dignity to incarcerated New Yorkers;
- A commitment to equal rights, including the full restoration of rights for those impacted by the criminal justice system;
- Repairing the consequences of crime through restorative justice; and
- Ending the mutually reinforcing cycle of poverty and criminal justice involvement.
NKD advocates for a public safety policy that adheres to the rights enshrined in the New York State Constitution, one based on due process and equal protection under the law. NKD seeks a more just and safe borough, city, and state and will work to support candidates, legislation, and policies in line with these principles.