New Kings Democrats is kicking off endorsement season at our October 6, 2019 general meeting with the 50th Assembly District race and the Female District Leader race in the 52nd Assembly District.
We invited all known candidates in both races to pursue NKD's endorsement. AD 50 Assembly candidate Emily Gallagher and AD 52 Female District Leader candidates Jesse Pierce and Rachel Eve Stein chose to participate and will attend the meeting. (Read about NKD's endorsement process here.) Read their questionnaires below.
Assembly District 52 - Female District Leader
Assembly District 50 - Assembly Member
2019 Judicial Elections
In 2019, New Kings Democrats solicited questionnaires from all candidates running for elected judgeships in Brooklyn’s Democratic primary. Here, you can find copies of the questionnaires from the candidates who chose to participate in the process, as well as a voter guide we created to raise awareness about the candidates and the positions they are running for in a social media-friendly way.
One of the major ways New Kings Democrats works to bring transparency and accountability to the Brooklyn Democratic Party is by raising awareness of and supporting candidates who share these values.
Here, you can find information about NKD’s endorsement process and recent endorsements, as well as questionnaires submitted by past candidates and voter guides we have put together to highlight their ideas and beliefs.
NKD guidelines for members participating on political campaigns
We're committed to supporting participation, transparency, and democracy in electoral politics. We strongly encourage members to participate in campaigns, up to and including running for office themselves. Members are always free to ask each other, or members of the Executive Committee, for advice and support, as well as for the contact information of elected officials and leaders of other clubs.
However, we always lead with our values. As such, we've established some boundaries when political work involves candidates who have not been endorsed by the club.
- The club's official resources should not be brought to bear on a campaign unless the club's membership has voted for an endorsement. This is particularly important for members of the Executive Committee, since they often represent the club.
- NKD members who are running for office or staffing campaigns that have not been endorsed by the club should not use NKD meetings with elected officials, candidates, or partner organizations to communicate about the campaign
- Campaign-related meetings or events should not be placed on NKD calendars
- Campaign teams should refrain from using NKD slack channels for internal campaign communications
- Non- or not-yet-endorsed campaigns should not have access to such NKD resources as NationBuilder-stored data or money
- NKD members staffing campaigns should not participate in the endorsement process for that specific race
If and when NKD endorses a candidate, the club’s standard endorsement process and outcomes apply, including NKD providing resources like money or volunteers to the campaign.