Policy and Our Platforms
New Kings Democrats strive for transparency, accountability, and inclusionary democracy at the most local level of Brooklyn politics, the Kings County Democratic Party. We focus on issues aligned with transforming local politics and support partner organizations whose missions align with our values.
Our Policy Committee is focused on supporting the work of NKD through the development of platforms and educational resources (i.e. explainers). These tools help inform our political organizing, including endorsement of candidates, and support Brooklyn voters as they make decisions about how to engage with key races and policy issues.
Reforming the Brooklyn Democratic Party
Our platform on changing the Party rules
Reforming Election Processes
A group of platforms on fixing our broken local election systems
Increasing Rights and Representation
Platforms on how our Party and local officials can work to include everyone and respond to injustice
Helping Brooklynites Run for County Committee through Rep Your Block
Our policy goals get closer to reality as more Brooklyn residents run for seats on County Committee
Issues are identified and comprehensively researched by our Policy Committee before discussion, revision, and an approval vote by NKD membership. For more information on the structure of this committee, see our Policy Bylaws here.
Our Policy Impact
Over the last 13 years, New Kings Democrats has built a base with members from all over Brooklyn. We have worked to endorse candidates, support legislation and policy, and empower more people to participate in Brooklyn’s County Committee. Below is a short timeline outlining our work and legislative support over the years.
- June 2016 County Committee Rules Reform
- June 2016 Establishment of Rep Your Block
- Sept 2016 Support for the Right to Know Act
- Sept 2016 Making the Case for a Constitutional Convention
- March 2019 County Committee Rules Reform Update
- Sept 2019 Support New York Charter Revision
- Jan 2020 County Committee Rules Reform Push to Eliminate Gendered Seats
- July 2020 Support Communities United for Police Reform on repeal of 50A
- Nov 2021 Support Independent Redistricting Commission Ballot Initiatives
As new research and policy analysis becomes available, NKD may revise our positions. Educational resources or explainers are updated as needed.