We're proud to support reform-minded candidates for local office, check out our recent endorsements here!
A New Kings Democrats (NKD) endorsement is more than a stamp of approval: it is a commitment of time, resources, and mutual support.
To receive an endorsement, our membership must be confident that you share our values of accountability, transparency, and inclusive democracy, while also aligning with our policy platform.
NKD will not endorse in every race, but we invite all Brooklyn, NYC-wide, and NYS-wide candidates to reach out. While NKD does not have a hard and fast rule for which races we get involved in, we always consider the following factors:
- Would getting involved in the race further NKD's agenda of reforming the Brooklyn Democratic Party?
- Does this race have the power to shift the terms of the debate around reform or progressive politics in Brooklyn?
NKD's Ability to Make an Impact
- Is it an open seat?
- Does the timing of the race allow for NKD to have a complete endorsement process and commit sufficient resources?
- What value would NKD's involvement add to the race?
- Is the race demographically or geographically appropriate for NKD to get involved in?
- Could NKD's involvement in the race boost the chances of a progressive, reform-minded underdog candidate - in particular, a person of color or a woman or non-cisgender person?
- Could NKD's involvement in the race boost the chances of a candidate with a strong history of neighborhood involvement and deep understanding of local issues?
Interested in our endorsement? Follow the steps below:
- Reach out. Email NKD’s Executive Committee at firstname.lastname@example.org with some background about yourself and the office you’re interested in. Emily Hoffman, our VP of Political Affairs, will reach out to schedule a call or meeting with you about your candidacy. These meetings will usually involve two or more members of our Executive Committee and/or Political Affairs Committee.
- Fill out a questionnaire (get in touch for details). This will let us know a little more about your campaign, where you stand on the issues important to us, and what you’d like to accomplish as an elected official. Completed questionnaires will be public documents available on our website, so put your best foot forward. If we ultimately hold an endorsement vote in your race, your questionnaire will be circulated to our membership before the vote as well.
- Attend a meeting. We encourage candidates to get to know us by coming to a meeting. Speaking time is reserved for scheduled endorsement meetings, however.
After meeting with and hearing from candidates, NKD’s Political Affairs Committee will make recommendations to the Executive Committee on the races for which we should hold endorsement votes. Though we will not hold endorsement votes in every race, we encourage candidates to keep in touch to build long-term relationships with our club.
At endorsement meetings, we distribute candidate questionnaires, invite all candidates to address our membership, and offer candidates the opportunity to answer questions from our members. Then, candidates step outside as our club discusses the race, holds a vote, and tallies the numbers. Final results are announced before the end of the meeting.
After endorsements, our club will reach out to coordinate support, including volunteers, for the selected candidates or their campaigns.
NKD’s Executive Committee reserves the right to change these procedures without notice, and in accordance with our bylaws.
Questions about our endorsement process? Email Emily Hoffman, our VP of Political Affairs.