At the beginning of our May meeting, NKD President Anusha Venkataraman announced an upcoming forum of the Brooklyn District Attorney candidates, hosted by a newly rejuvenated consortium of political clubs called the Brooklyn Reform Coalition. RSVP and please join us on June 5!
Then endorsement season continued!
Matt Stern, VP of Political Affairs, was the host of the evening. He recounted the work that the Political Affairs Committee has been doing to meet and vet candidates around the borough, to hear about their priorities, persuade them to support NKD’s policy platforms, and talk about their campaign strategy and how NKD could play a role if we endorse them.
We heard from candidates in three city council races:
- Council District 41 (Bedford-Stuyvesant, Ocean Hill-Brownsville, East Flatbush, Crown Heights)
- Council District 35 (Fort Greene, Clinton Hill, Prospect Heights and parts of Crown Heights and Bedford-Stuyvesant)
- Council District 43 (Bay Ridge, Dyker Heights, Bensonhurst, Bath Beach)
After introductions and Q&As, the candidates and their staffs left the room. The membership discussed our options at length before voting.
This was NKD’s highest turn-out endorsement vote ever!
We were thankful to all the candidates who came to speak to our membership, and all of them were impressive and deserve to be commended for stepping up and running for local office.
The results of our vote were endorsements for:
- CD 41: Alicka Samuel (Campaign Site) (Facebook)
- CD 35: Ede Fox (Campaign Site) (Twitter)
- CD 43: Rev. Khader El-Yateem (Campaign Site) (Facebook)
Congratulations to all! And hey NKD Members! Our endorsements only mean something if we show up and organize. We’ll see you on the campaign trail!